ABILENE, Texas — The Abilene Fire Department said cooking fires are the leading cause of house fires during the holidays.
"The biggest thing is people leaving their cooking unattended," said Lt. Scott Slack, an arson investigator with AFD. "It's best to stay in the kitchen while you're cooking."
The peak-day for cooking fires is Thanksgiving Day.
The average claim in Texas was more than $45,000.
"When you are cooking in the kitchen, you do need to be aware of dish towels, cords, and stuff like that," said Slack. "Just because you turn your oven top off doesn't mean it's still not hot."
If a cooking fire starts, don't put water on it.
"The best thing you can do is cover it with a lid," said Slack. "We don’t want you throwing water or stuff on top of it. If you can’t cover it with a lid, then just get everyone out of the house and call 911 so we can do our job.”
You should also have a fire extinguisher in your kitchen and working smoke detectors in the home.
If you plan to fry a turkey for Thanksgiving, keep it at least 10-15 feet away from any structure.
"You want to premeasure how much oil you want to put in your fryer," said Slack. "You need to make sure your turkey is thawed and your turkey is dry.”
Copyright © 2019, KTXS 12 ABC. All Rights Reserved
By Cortney Brown