Optimist Club Unlimited's 25th annual three-day Big Country Balloon Fest will begin at 10 a.m. Friday at Redbud Park, 3125 S. 32nd St.
Food, crafts, entertainment and more will be available from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m., with opening ceremonies at 5:45 p.m., a balloon flight at 6 p.m. and a balloon glow at 8:15 p.m.
Events with continue Saturday with a balloon flight at 7:30 a.m., entertainment starting at 9 a.m., vendors at 10 a.m., a flight at 7 p.m. and a balloon glow at 8:15 p.m. The festival will conclude with a flight at 7:30 a.m. Sunday.
For information, go to bigcountryballoonfest.org.
Pops at the Pond
The Hardin-Simmons University Theatre Department will present its "Pops at the Pond" concert at 5:30 p.m. Friday at the duck pond on campus. Listeners are encouraged to bring lawn chairs and blankets. Admission is free.
The Abilene Cultural Affairs Council will present a Storybook Saturday event, "Tale as Old as Time," at 10 a.m. Saturday at the Adamson-Spalding Storybook Garden at the Abilene Convention Center, 1100 N. Sixth St.
Abilene Christian University theater students will present selections from Disney's "Beauty and the Beast" musical and cellist Amit Peled will perform and read from his book, "A Cello Named Pablo." Other events include art activities, face painting and an instrument petting zoo.
Admission is $10 per family, and advance registration is required. Register at abilenecac.org.
'The Curious Incident'
A production of "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time" will be presented at 7:30 p.m. Friday and Saturday at the Paramount Theatre, 352 Cypress St.
Tickets are $18. For tickets or information, go to paramountabilene.com.
Ed Boone (Keith Rocco) tries to comfort his son, Christopher, (Wade Byington) in this rehearsal scene from "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time," which will be performed Friday and Saturday evenings at the Paramount Theatre.
A birthday celebration concert for local musician Happy Fat — as well as for Play Faire Park's favorite pup, Mr. Watson — will begin at 7:45 p.m. Saturday at the park's stage, 2300 N. Second St. Ricky Ramirez and the Groove Kids also will perform.
Admission is $6 for adults and $5 for children age 12 and under. Dogs are free with a paying adult.
And more ...
- MERKEL — The Merkel homecoming will begin with a pep rally at 9:30 a.m. Friday at Merkel High School, with a parade at 3 p.m. in downtown Merkel. A dinner will be served for $10 from 5-7 p.m. at Merkel Methodist Church.
- COTTONWOOD — The Cottonwood Country Musical will begin at 5:30 p.m. Friday at the Cottonwood Community Center. Admission is free. The kitchen will open at 5 p.m. For more information, call 325-660-5771.
- A free showing of "Holmes & Watson," rated PG-13, will be presented at 2:30 p.m. Saturday at the Mockingbird Lane branch of the Abilene Public Library, 1326 N. Mockingbird Lane.
- The Abilene Cactus Lions Club will conduct its third annual fish fry from 4-8 p.m. Saturday at St. Paul United Methodist Church, 525 Beech St. Admission is $10, with desserts sold for $1.
- BUFFALO GAP — A fundraiser concert benefiting Camp Able will begin at 5:30 p.m. Saturday at the Red Dirt Pavilion, 1302 Pecan St. in Buffalo Gap. House Band #1, Morgan Reatherford and Kirk House will perform. General admission is free.
- OLD GLORY — The Old Glory Musical will begin at 6 p.m. Saturday at the Old Glory Community Center. Concessions will open at 5:30 p.m. For information, call 940-989-2966 or 940-989-2816.
- Abilene Pride Alliance will conduct a "Big Gay Cookout" at 6:30 p.m. Saturday at Swenson House, 1726 Swenson St. Hamburgers and hot dogs will be served. Participants are encouraged to bring a side.
- A pop-up country western dance featuring Midnight Blue will be 7-10 p.m. Saturday in the garage of The Grace Museum, 102 Cypress St. Admission is $8 in advance or $10 at the door, or free for children under 10. For information, go to ellerhall.com.
- A celebration of the 120th anniversary of the founding of the Veterans of Foreign Wars will begin at 2 p.m. Sunday at VFW Post 6873, 1049 Veterans Drive. Admission is free.
By Nathaniel Ellsworth
Copyright © 2019, Abilene Reporter News. All Rights Reserved.