Wolfabilene Updates

 

 

A day after multiple fire-fighting agencies put out a fast-moving grass fire that threatened a subdivision, hot spots required additional attention Monday in southwest Abilene.

 

The Autumn Sage fire that started about 11:40 a.m. Sunday near Autumn Sage Lane and U.S. Highway 277 scorched 184 acres and prompted the temporary evacuation of the Hampton Hills subdivision as a precaution. 

 

The fire that was attributed to welding sparks was tapped out at 5 p.m. But, crews remained on the scene until about 8 p.m. and returned periodically throughout the night, Abilene Fire Department spokeswoman Elise Roberts said.

 

 

Smoke rises beyond trees and a grassy field along Dub Wright Boulevard Sunday. The grass fire threatened the nearby Hampton Hill subdivision, which was evacuated temporarily as a precaution.

Smoke rises beyond trees and a grassy field along Dub Wright Boulevard Sunday. The grass fire threatened the nearby Hampton Hill subdivision, which was evacuated temporarily as a precaution. 

 

 

The department dispatched 35 firefighters and 13 engine and brush trucks to the scene Sunday. Additional crews and equipment came from the Texas A&M Forest Service, Dyess Air Force Base, Taylor County Precinct 1 and multiple volunteer fire departments. They included Anson, Baird, Buffalo Gap, Clyde, ECCA, Eula, Hamby, Hawley, Potosi, Tye and View.

 

Abilene firefighters were called back at least three times Monday to the area of Autumn Sage Lane and Stewart Road because of hot spot flair ups, according to scanner traffic.

 

 

Residential fire

 

Before the grass fire Sunday, Abilene firefighters also responded at about 7:45 a.m. to a house fire in the 1500 block of North 16th Street.

 

"Fire crews arrived to find heavy smoke coming from the garage," a fire department news release said. 

 

After gaining access to the garage and the inside of the house, firefighters quickly extinguished the fire, the release said.

 

Residents were away at the time of the fire, which was blamed on an electrical malfunction, the release said.

 

By Laura Gutschke

Copyright © 2019, Abilene Reporter News. All Rights Reserved.

Wolf News
Facebook
Sports News