iStock/Thinkstock(NEW YORK) -- Here are the scores from yesterday's sports events:
INTERLEAGUE Final Baltimore 10 Miami 4 Final Toronto 8 Washington 6 Final Texas 13 Colorado 12
AMERICAN LEAGUE Final Cleveland 4 Minnesota 1 Final Tampa Bay 3 N-Y Yankees 1 Final Detroit 3 Chi White Sox 1 Final Houston 7 Kansas City 4 Final Oakland 6 L-A Angels 5, 11 Innings Final Boston 9 Seattle 3
NATIONAL LEAGUE Final Atlanta 4 San Diego 1 Final Cincinnati 8 Pittsburgh 6 Final Philadelphia 10 Milwaukee 9 Final San Francisco 4 L-A Dodgers 1 Final N-Y Mets 5 Arizona 3 Final St. Louis 5 Chi Cubs 0
John Tlumacki/The Boston Globe via Getty Images(NEW YORK) -- Tom Brady has "respect" for the players who chose to take a knee during the national anthem before football games last season, the New England Patriots quarterback told Oprah Winfrey in an interview.
Brady said the controversy surrounding the kneeling protests prompted "a lot of good healthy conversations ... in our locker room."
"I respect why people are doing what they are doing. And they’re doing it for different reasons, and that’s okay. You know, you can do things for your reason. They can do things for their reason, and you have respect for that. But, I thought it was great," Brady told Winfrey.
In the interview, a clip of which was released ahead of the full special this weekend, Brady talked about how the Patriots "chose to lock arms" as they walked out as a team after group discussions.
"We had meetings after practice talking about how we wanted to deal with that particular situation," he said.
"We support what people are going through," he said.
"I’ve been playing sports long enough [to know] everyone comes from something different, and I think showing respect for everybody, in a locker room, with a team of guys trying to go in the same direction —- you better have that empathy for everybody. That’s what sports are about," he said.
This isn't the first time Brady has talked about the decision of some players to take a knee to protest police brutality.
In September 2017, Brady criticized President Donald Trump, with whom he has been friendly in the past, for calling on any kneeling players to be fired or suspended.
Brady said Trump's comments were "just divisive."
"I think everyone has the right to do whatever they want to do. If you don’t agree, that is fine. You can voice your disagreement, I think that is great. It’s part of our democracy. As long as it is done in a peaceful, respectful way, that is what our country has been all about," Brady said during a radio show appearance.
Mary Altaffer-Pool/Getty Images(NEW YORK) -- Mixed martial arts star Conor McGregor broke his silence Thursday about allegedly sparking a melee in April in Brooklyn, New York, that left two foes injured - saying he "regrets" his actions in the out-of-Octagon altercation.
The 29-year-old Irish cage brawler spoke following a brief hearing in Brooklyn Supreme Court, where a prosecutor told a judge that McGregor and another MMA fighter, Cian Cowley, were in the process of negotiating a plea deal on assault charges.
"I regret my actions that lead me here today," the heavily tattooed McGregor told reporters as he left the courthouse. "I understand the seriousness of this matter and I am hopeful that it gets resolved soon."
McGregor, the former Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) featherweight and lightweight titleholder, was charged with three counts of assault and one count of criminal mischief after being arrested on April 6. He allegedly attacked a bus full of fighters following a pre-fight press conference for what had been billed as a 13-bout UFC 223 match at the Barclays Center.
Fighters Michael Chiesa and Ray Borg were injured by flying glass when McGregor threw a metal dolly at their bus in a backstage area of the Barclays Center, shattering a window. The attack was caught on video and also showed Cowley allegedly hurling a chair at the bus and McGregor also attempting to throw a metal barricade to the vehicle before he was stopped.
Cowley, 25, was also charged with assault and criminal mischief.
Brooklyn Assistant District Attorney Janet Gleeson told a judge Thursday that the case against McGregor and Cowley has not been presented to a grand jury for possible indictment due to the plea negotiations.
McGregor and Cowley were ordered to return to court on July 26. They both remain free on $50,000 bail each.
Barbara Haddock Taylor/Baltimore Sun/TNS via Getty Images(COLLEGE PARK, Md.) -- The University of Maryland football team is in mourning in the wake of the death of one of its young players.
Sophomore offensive lineman Jordan McNair died Wednesday, the university said, after he had been taken to a hospital May 29 after an organized team workout.
The cause of his death was not immediately clear.
A GoFundMe page set up last week to raise money for his parents said the sophomore received a liver transplant. The page didn't further discuss his medical problems.
McNair was a "tremendous athlete, student, teammate and friend, and he will be sorely missed," Executive Athletic Director Damon Evans said in a letter Wednesday. "We offer our deepest condolences to his parents, family and friends."
"Our team is heartbroken with the loss of Jordan McNair," Coach DJ Durkin said in a statement released by the athletic director. "Jordan was an incredible young man, and his passion and enthusiasm made him an invaluable and beloved member of our team."
McNair, 19, was an "extremely talented" player and a "hard worker" who "always had a smile on his face," Durkin said.
He was a "humble and genuine human being" who "embodied the essence of what it means to be a teammate," the coach added.
Quarterback Kasim Hill tweeted, "Thank you for allowing me to know a great friend, teammate and a man who was truly a brother."
"Jordan was a fighter," Durkin said. "Over the past few weeks, Jordan never gave up with his family, friends and team by his side. Our team will continue to be inspired by the spirit of this brave fighter. Please continue to pray for Jordan’s family during this difficult time."
TongRo Images(MOSCOW) -- The United States will co-host the soccer World Cup in 2026, after winning a joint bid with Mexico and Canada to hold the sport’s biggest competition.
Delegates from international soccer’s governing body FIFA voted Wednesday at their congress in Moscow to select the joint North American bid, a day before this year’s World Cup kicks off in Russia.
The so-called united bid convincingly beat another put forward by Morocco, receiving 135 of 206 votes against 65 for the North African country.
In an acceptance speech onstage in Moscow, U.S. Soccer Federation President Carlos Cordeiro thanked FIFA for the “incredible honor" and for "entrusting us with this privilege."
The vote means the World Cup will come to the United States for the first time since 1994, amid growing interest in soccer. The United States will play host to at least 60 games, including the quarterfinals, while Mexico and Canada will take 10 each.
The successful bid also comes as President Donald Trump is engaged in public feuds with the leaders of both those countries. After the vote, Trump tweeted his congratulations about the win.
“The U.S. together with Mexico and Canada just got the World Cup. Congratulations -- a great deal of hard work," Trump wrote.
The North American bid had been the favorite. A FIFA inspection commission in April gave it a considerably higher score in an evaluation report than Morocco, noting the extensive infrastructure already in place in the three countries, compared to Morocco, which would have had to construct or renovate all its stadiums and build large amounts of accommodation and transport.
The FIFA inspectors had deemed Morocco a “high-risk” choice, describing the two bids as “almost at opposite ends of the spectrum.”
The 2026 cup will be the first of an expanded tournament that will include 48 teams instead of 32, putting considerably more burden on the host country. Morocco had said it would need to spend $16 billion on infrastructure for the competition, including 14 stadiums, whereas only six of North American stadiums need refurbishment.
FIFA’s leadership, under FIFA President Gianni Infantino, was also understood to have preferred the North American proposal, swayed in part by its organizers’ claim that their tournament would generate $14.3 billion in profits, versus Morocco’s $7.2 billion.
The vote subsequently went for what was viewed as the safer option, passing over Moroccan arguments that the World Cup could serve as an economic and sporting engine for Africa. It follows controversy over the last World Cup vote in 2010, which handed the 2018 and 2022 tournaments to Russia and Qatar, respectively, despite both bids’ being weaker on paper than their rivals.
A U.S. bid at the time failed to win enough votes. After the allegations of corruption -- including around that voting, which later roiled FIFA and saw President Sepp Blatter eventually step down -- the organization was hoping Wednesday's selection would be less contentious.
The bidding process had, nonetheless, attracted some political controversy around Trump. Before the vote, some had suggested that a “Trump effect” was harming the United States’ chances, saying the president’s quarrels internationally were putting off some countries. In April, Trump endorsed the U.S. bid in a tweet and threatened countries that did not support it.
"The US has put together a STRONG bid w/ Canada & Mexico for the 2026 World Cup," Trump wrote. "It would be a shame if countries that we always support were to lobby against the US bid. Why should we be supporting these countries when they don't support us (including at the United Nations)?"
Organizers had also worried that the Trump administration’s controversial travel ban targeting some Muslim nations could prevent some teams and fans from visiting during the tournament. But it emerged last week that Trump himself had lobbied FIFA’s leadership to assuage those concerns. The New York Times reported that it had seen three letters written by Trump to FIFA's Infantino, promising that his hardline stance on visas would not affect visitors to the World Cup.
The North American bid’s selection means that the United States will now work together with Canada and Mexico to organize the tournament, and puts Trump in the incongruous position of celebrating a collaboration with the leaders of nations his administration has been excoriating as freeloaders. In particular, Trump has been engaged in a high-profile dispute with Canadian President Justin Trudeau over steel and aluminum tariffs, which led to a contentious G7 summit last week.
After the summit, Trump attacked Trudeau as “dishonest” and “weak,” and accused him of making false statements around the tariffs. Trudeau responded by saying that Canadians would "not be pushed around.”
Regardless of the political disputes, the joint proposal envisages the tournament’s coming to 16 cities across the three countries -- the largest for any World Cup, with likely three cities each in Mexico and Canada and 10 in the United States.
The proposal includes a huge spread of venues in the United States, from virtually all the major cities on the East Coast and West Coast; Atlanta, Nashville, Tennessee, Orlando, Florida and Miami in the Southeast; and then Cincinnati, Ohio, Kansas City, Missouri, Dallas, Houston and Denver in the Midwest and Mountain West.
Not all of the cities included in the bid will be chosen for the final 16, with a refined list to be put forward around 2021, according to the bid's organizers.